You provided feedback, and we listened! Based upon faculty feedback, the UNLV Office of Online Education's faculty professional development program has undergone extensive redesign over the summer. Initially offered during the Fall 2014 semester, the new course has updated curriculum geared for busy educators interested in refining 21st century skills required to teach and learn online.
Faculty and instructors are invited to participate in our pilot program starting September 2, 2014. Please feel to contact Michael Wilder at 702-895-2258 for more information.
Goal of the course
The goal of this course is to provide professional development for UNLV online educators. Good teaching practices are universal regardless of the delivery method. At the same time, there are subtle differences between face-to-face instruction and fully online or hybrid instruction. Successfully completing this course will enable you to identify these differences and to empower you with the pedagogical and technological skills necessary to be an effective online educator.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- describe standard design and development processes for fully online or hybrid courses at UNLV
- prepare typical planning documents necessary for developing an online class (syllabus, course schedule, learning objectives)
- identify and apply online teaching techniques that encourage student success
- develop effective communication and collaboration strategies for online courses
- design meaningful and authentic assessments for online learning.
How this course is organized
The course is composed of six learning modules:
- Starting the journey
- Planning and designing a course
- Teaching an online course
- Content presentation and online resources
- Communication and collaboration
- Assessments and rubrics
How is this professional development course different from an academic course?
- The art & science of teaching online has no start or end date. Complete the course on your schedule.
- The course includes some gamification principles to increase motivation and completion.
- After you complete the activities in this "Starting the journey" learning module, additional modules will be revealed. Choose your own path through each of the five modules.
- Upon completion of each module’s summative assignments, you will be awarded an achievement "badge." As an alternative to letter grades, badges are graphic representations of course content mastery. For more information on badges, see here.
- Upon completion of the six modules of the course, you will be awarded a certificate of completion.
In the future, additional learning modules will be added to this course on specialized topics. They will become available upon completion of the six basic modules of this course.
For more information, please feel free to contact Michael Wilder, Instructional Design Coordinator